Saturday, February 8, 2014

Change in plans ...

OK ... it has been a bit frustrating these past two weeks; and finally today, I've listened to what my 'gut' has been telling me for some time now ....

Some good news:

- My Moonlite focuser arrived about ten days ago (about two weeks sooner than anticipated).  It was delivered to my door, so I avoided paying 'duty' on it ... big surprise there!  It is absolutely beautiful and the operation is silky smooth.


- Last Saturday (01 Feb), the eyepieces and Telrad finder arrived.  Duty was charged only for the set of four 1.25" eyepieces (the 2" 38 mm and finder were 'ignored' as they were listed on a separate invoice) ... 2,000 Rs. (~$18), so not too bad, considering ...


So ... all the parts that were moving from the USA have arrived.  :)

But ...

I have NOTHING to use them with.  I was hoping to get a friend from church who is quite skilled in woodworking and has the proper tools to build the wooden parts for my 'project'; however, his schedule seems to be very busy and in three weeks time, all that he has accomplished is to create some 'drawings' (for my approval), which I still have not seen.  Last Sunday he was tied up with church matters, but agreed to get together with me on Tuesday.  Tuesday came and 'something came up' on his end, so he rescheduled for Thursday.  On Thursday, it was 'something else', try again tomorrow.  On Friday, I had a scheduling problem, so deferred to Saturday (today).  Today, couldn't meet again as he was busy with cabinets, but he would see me tomorrow after church.

After that conversation, I confirmed that nothing had been purchased (nothing had) and told him that I'd simply run out of time (not to mention patience) and that I'd build it myself.  So, Salani (younger daughter) and I headed to town to see what we could come up with.  Salani had the good sense to ask a 'three-wheel' (rickshaw taxi) driver if he knew where to get plywood; he did, and we went there.  I got a 3' x 6' sheet of 12mm (1/2") cabinet grade plywood to make the tube.  I also ordered a 4' x 8' sheet of 18 mm (3/4") cabinet grade plywood for the cradle and base (normally not stocked but available in full sheets).  It will be here Wednesday.  Purchased a Skilsaw (circular saw) to make straight cuts (already own a jig saw and drill).  Looked at routers ... was told for the little bit of work I required one for, I could rent.

Next up, need to buy some lumber to construct some sawhorses to use as a work bench.  :p

So, I have regained control of my own destiny.  The finished product will not be as nice as what my friend could have produced; but at least it will get finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment