Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A New Beginning ...

*cough*

Has it really been nearly 18 months?  Where did the time go?  :(

I built the saw horses ... and then went on to construct a model railroad.  :p

It has been raining a lot here in Sri Lanka, very seldom do I get a chance to see the stars.  I did purchase a nice set of binoculars to view with; however, they have sat, pretty much unused ...  :(

The prospect of building a wooden tube has resulted in "Analysis Paralysis" ... I just could not bring myself to cut wood without a clear path forward for ensuring the resulting structure would be serviceable.  That changed the other day.

There is a digital printing shop in a small shopping center that I frequent.  They print large banners and such (I had them print a backdrop for my model railroad).  The material comes on rolls, supported by a cardboard tube.  I had seen many of these tubes discarded outside the shop, waiting for collection by the clean-up crews; but they had all been only 4' in length, and the internal diameter was not much more than the 6" diameter of my mirror; so I never gave it much more thought.

The other day I saw a much larger tube laying there ... over 10' long and with a 7" inside diameter ... ureka!  Problem solved.  I spoke with the shopping center "watchman" (as it was after hours and the shop was closed); but he was new and didn't want to take the responsibility for letting me walk off with a large cardboard tube.  So, the next morning, bright and early, I went to the shop.  The tube was still there and it had not rained that night.  The shop was just opening, so I ducked under the partially raised security fence to speak with the folks inside.  Seems the watchman had mentioned that I had been there that night asking about the tube and the shop keep was more than happy to let me take it.  He even requested my telephone number to call me as they became available.  :)

So, with a tube in hand, it seems I can finally get moving on this project again.  :)

Next: Design Update

No comments:

Post a Comment